Bad Bargain

We all like a bargain don't we? I know I do. I'm guilty of scouring ebay for some little gem that no-one has noticed, or some broken item that I think I can fix.

Here's an example. This is a Tamron SP90 macro lens I bought some years ago. It had a focusing fault, and I had to dismantle it completely to locate and fix the problem. Re-assembling the twin helicoid was a massive task and took several evenings work. In the end I had a splendid lens that I used for a year and eventually sold to fund another purchase.

Perhaps I should get out more, but I do like repairing and re-using things. Its a sort of technical recycling I guess.




Sometimes this goes all wrong. I have been trying to buy a Nikon SB28 flash gun. These have become sought after courtesy of the Strobist blog and prices have leapt up. I see plenty for sale in excellent condition but, having some Yorkshire blood in me, I can't thoil 80 to 100 pounds on the purchase.

So - I bought a non functioning one on ebay. To be honest, I paid a bit too much for it, convinced I could repair the basic fault described. 

When I opened it I discovered the problems were more widespread. Dead batteries had burst covering the inside with caustic film of electrically conducting crystals. These are death to microelectronics. So I have done some serious board and connector cleaning, and now the display operates and its little computer runs.In fact it does everything it should except fire the flash.

So, at the point of writing it has turned out to be a Bad Bargain. I have not given up just yet, but let's just say I am not too impressed.


Post Script. After two days of careful cleaning and testing I am unable to coax this into life, so I will have to sell it for spares. Oh well...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The white stuff

Casting a shadow