Coat of paint

Mediterranean countries seem to show a constant theme of neglect. Rural buildings seem run down, even dilapidated my northern European standards. Everywhere you look you see shutters hanging off buildings, or worn and weathered wood facing the elements. Why don't they give things a good coat of paint?

I should say I find the textures and patterns these neglected corners present to be endlessly fascinating.




I suspect the reasons are complicated, but the obvious answer is that the temperatures are so high in the summer, and the sun us so strong, that a good coat of paint would blister and peel off quite quickly. Given the low rainfall, I can understand their reluctance to paint wood every other year.

There does seem to be a culture of laissez faire though. If a thing has stopped working then just leave it where it is. It all looks rather unkempt by our standards, and what the ultra tidy Swiss make of Cyprus, I do wonder...



Here, for example, is a beach front cafe at Agios Georgios bay in West Cyprus. Well, I assume it used to be a cafe once.... These days it makes a nice frame for a passing boat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The white stuff