Outside

Outside your comfort zone, that is... Generally I photograph landscapes or buildings, and sometimes abstract shapes. I am not really a people photographer, and the few occasions I have photographed a wedding, it has been a very trying experience.

So, what to do when asked if you can do a small fashion photo shoot for company that sells equestrian clothing. They can call on the services of Sienna, a local model. All I have to do is sort out the pictures.




The first thing is to buy some second hand off camera flashes from e-bay. These are the sort that can be operated in manual mode. Next, I need to learn about lighting and the Strobist blog is the definitive pace to start. Now I need some light modifiers, in this case, those large springy circular diffusers.




Finally, its just a matter of going for it and adapting my methods according to the results on the camera rear screen. It was an awful rush in poor light against the clock, but I think I learnt a lot and I like to think I could do a better job next time. Next time? What am I saying...



Comments

  1. Hey, careful, carry on like this and you'll be doing cover shots for lads magazines! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the riding whip? (sorry) And her feet on the last shot?

    I'm assuming this is below the line advertising where they want the clothes to show up best rather than any creative photography suggestive of the mood of the clothing experience. ( Catalogue style shoot). I think from your style of photography you would be much more comfortable with the latter. In which case you can usually do without problematic lighting! If your worried the client might not be agreeable, shoot both styles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a mixed shoot. Some were inside shots against a wall, very basic catalogue pictures. These were more fun, outdoor clothing, outdoor shots (clients idea). Hopefully they will end up on their web site. Move over David B...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The white stuff

Casting a shadow