Bloom

Three blooming pictures with black backgrounds:

This first one, of a poppy bud opening, was taken right at the end of the film era. I shot this outside in the garden under a cloudy sky with a black card behind the subject. The result was a Fuji Provia transparency, which I sent off in an envelope to the pro printers to get a Cibachrome 10x8 done. It still hangs on a wall 12 years later.




Printing direct from a transparency! We don't do things like that now. When was the last time I had anything printed without some serious Photoshop work? In fact the digital age has brought  other changes. I now take so many pictures that I very rarely have them printed. They all get their Photoshop treatment, just in case they ever get enlarged and placed on a wall somewhere.


This next one was taken with a DSLR, also outdoors, but this time the background was made black using an off camera flash to define the exposure.






This final minimal image was taken indoors with natural light from a north facing window and a black backdrop. This features my 50mm Zuiko macro lens. One of the sharpest optics I've ever had and a joy to use.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting a shadow

The white stuff