Light and shade

Today's post is all about the highs and lows of images, and grabbing the attention. 

When constructing an image, you need to consider what your subject is. So much is obvious. You also need to think about the background, and select your viewpoint and lens to produce the best combination of the two.

This first image involved a lot of walking around in a rural car park so I could get the contrasting colours balanced with the dark background. I was shuffling around while peering at the sky, waiting for the gap in the cloud that produced the fleeting splash of sunlight.





This second image offered itself without all the shuffling. Inside the bars a solitary shaft of light from the window in the roof fell on the straw bales. I picked a position that gave me a dark background and composed this shot.

Both examples needed exposure compensation to achieve the desired result, as discussed before.

 




Here we have another hay store next to the farm yard. I wanted to show the connection between the two, but I gave myself a problem. The difference in lighting makes this type of image very tricky, so I took three pictures with different exposures and combined them in Photoshop to make a single image covering both light and shade.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The white stuff

Casting a shadow