Local sunshine

Here's a mean and moody shot of a storm threatened crop. 

Well, all is not quite what it seems, as I took my portable sunshine with me and created the mood myself. It was an overcast day, but I felt the look needed enhancing.

This is a standard strobist trick. I used an off camera flash to put light down onto the corn from overhead, giving the look of a shaft of sunlight. It is then just a matter of adjusting the flash power and the camera exposure so that the background goes dark while the foreground is over-lit.





The trick can also be used in a more subtle manner. In this case the post box has a small splash of light to lift it, while the background is once again allowed to be dark and brooding.

In addition to the lighting trick, narrow depth of field also separates the post box from it's background.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting a shadow

The white stuff