Basic Design

Here is the front left corner of a fifty year old Massey Ferguson 35, an agricultural design icon in my opinion. There was one of these on the farm where I grew up, and I drove it regularly from age twelve.

I suppose that form follows function, but I have always been impressed with the simple and basic design of this tractor. Everything is as strong and as heavy as it needs to be, but no more. The blue Fordson tractors of the same era looked like converted steam engines by comparison.

You can see at a glance how the steering geometry works , and how it is optimised to reduce bump steer. You can unbolt the front axle and set the wheels further apart if you wanted to. It was all rather self explanatory.

These days all tractors look roughly the same: Huge tyres, big engines, with suspension, air conditioned cabs and SatNav.




This old Fergie is not some restored show tractor, or an exhibit out of a Countryside Museum. It is still used every day for light duties. In fact, it is lasting rather better than I am...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The white stuff

Casting a shadow